The Mobility Economy

There’s a new category that encompasses the various transportation verticals, called the Mobile Economy, and DAV is a part of it.

The Mobility Economy

The mobility economy is the end result of a world awash in autonomous vehicles and decentralized services, where access to transportation is ubiquitous and cost-effective. It is an outcome where people can move anything or anyone, anywhere, at the touch of a smartphone app.

The transport industry right now is both heavily fragmented and in transition. The big automakers are all working on their own connected car standards. Drone service companies are already entrenched in industrial and commercial applications but have yet to penetrate consumer markets in a meaningful fashion. Autonomous car and bus fleets are being deployed around the world, in scenarios involving public transit to corporate campuses. The regulatory challenges differ wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The practice of sharing assets is beginning to affect many more facets of the economy, including transportation, where the encumbrance of asset ownership is traditionally high.

One of the most unsettling changes to the global economy is mass automation. Jobs are vanishing, with workers being replaced by robots and AI, and this isn’t limited to just manufacturing or processing jobs. The coming decade will see millions of “old economy” jobs evaporate, and “gigs” will continue to replace them.

From these many challenges and factors arise countless opportunities to bring about profoundly positive change. The coming automation boom across all verticals and transportation specifically could drive a massive demand for entrepreneurial opportunities in a new space for both the displaced worker and the upcoming generations who are entering the labour market.

The mobile economy offers not only a salve for the painful economic transformation that is coming, it also brings significant social benefits. With access to door-to-door mobility, workers who struggle with public transit can seek employment or contracts that are normally outside of their reach due to a lack of reliable transport. Seniors will have their period of independence extended and their standard of living sustained with access to mobility for daily errands and excursions. Displaced workers and young entrepreneurs can participate in the new transportation space by providing services ranging from drone deliveries to ride-hailing to offering charging services to autonomous vehicles. The possibilities could be endless, much like what the World Wide Web has provided us for the past two decades.

The DAV Foundation wholeheartedly embraces the mobile economy as a world changing transformation that will improve the opportunities and lives for people of all ages. We offer everyone, from the industry giants to the average consumer, access to a free, common network that enables universal mobility for all. This common network becomes a new marketplace for services, customers and ideas in this profoundly transformational vertical, and a platform for the engines of innovation that enterprises and entrepreneurs are sure to bring on board.

I think I follow that complex picture! So many possibilities. I can think of a business that would start in a space like that: drone recovery and fixing services!! I am pursuing a drone pilot’s license and would like to do that some day.

It’s just like the Bird Hunters that came from Bird, the e-scooter people. They go around picking up Birds at the end of the working day and recharge them and make money from it. I am excited. DAV let’s go!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like